Our scholarship program is designed to encourage boarding students from certain regions to explore the opportunities of a SMUS education. The school currently offers renewable entrance scholarships for boarding students enrolling in Grade 8, 9 or 10 and commencing in September.
Scholarships range from $5,000 to $10,000 per year and are open to Canadian students from Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon, as well as American students from Washington State, Oregon, Alaska and California.
We are looking for scholarship candidates who are passionate about their education and future; who have shown the following characteristics:
- demonstrated commitment to academic success;
- dedication to a variety of extracurricular activities (music, drama, athletics);
- commitment to pursue post-secondary education or similar educational opportunities;
- contribution to school and or community in a leadership or humanitarian role;
- willingness to enroll in the boarding community; and
- a desire for excellence, compassion, passion for learning and for life.
Scholarship Application Procedure
Part One: Application
Complete and submit your application for admission online. There is a section of the online application called Entrance Scholarships that needs to be completed.
Part Two: Letter from the Applicant
Write and submit a letter introducing yourself. In your letter, please comment on the following statement as it relates to you: “Students at St. Michaels University School pursue academic excellence in an environment where the character and the self also grow.”
Part Three: Letters of Reference
Submit two letters of reference from professionals in your community. Select professionals who have known you for a minimum of two years and can comment on your academic, athletic, leadership and community service merits and accomplishments. Examples of professionals to contact include your principal, teacher, a senior company executive, lawyer, professor, or medical doctor. We suggest that one of your letters is written by your principal or teacher, and that both letters refer to your academic strengths, personal characteristics, intellectual promise and motivation.
Please submit your letters in a sealed envelope to:
St. Michaels University School
Attention: Mr. Paul Leslie
Director of Admissions
3400 Richmond Road
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V8P 4P5
Part Four: Interview and Entrance Testing
The Admissions Office will contact scholarship candidates who have submitted all required documents and invite them to visit the school. During their visit, candidates will write admissions tests and attend interviews.
All applicants will complete and submit the following to the committee:
- Online application for Admission (including the Parent, Student and Teacher sections)
- Scholarship application (online)
- Letter from Applicant
- Letter of reference from teacher or administrator of the applicant's current school, and a second letter of reference from another professional
- Copies of the most recent school reports