The SMUS rowing team welcomes enthusiastic athletes who are interested in being a part of a team. Beginners and experienced rowers refine and consolidate their rowing skills, fitness, and on-water performance. Rowing at SMUS now covers all three terms with two distinctive seasons.
In the fall term, a larger team of approximately 54 athletes competes in the LVISSAA 11-week high school season. We focus primarily on an introduction to the sport, rowing stroke development, general fitness and fun. We compete in three local regattas, including the City Championships. This is a one-term commitment.
A small group of athletes will continue to train over the winter term in preparation for the spring competitive racing season from February to June at regattas across British Columbia. The final goal of this group is to represent SMUS at the Canadian Secondary School Rowing Association (CSSRA) Championships at the beginning of June in St. Catharines, Ontario. Throughout this season the athletes develop sport-specific endurance, strength and relevant speed skills for 2000m racing.
SMUS rowing builds everyone’s fitness through a variety of training, encourages team commitment, and supports competitive development.
Some of the highlights and advantages of Rowing at SMUS include:
- Premier facility, with the SMUS Community Rowing Centre situated on the Gorge waterway
- Open to all students no matter experience level to build the foundation of a healthy lifestyle
- Second-to-none developmental program in an inclusive and friendly environment
- Travel to provincial and national tournaments
Senior School Rowing
Players: Approximately 54 (fall) and 25 (spring/winter)
- Won 2 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze at the Canadian Secondary School Rowing Association (CSSRA) national championships (2014/15)
- Reached 15 finals at the prestigious Brentwood Regatta (2013/14) finishing 2nd of the many schools entered
- Recorded one bronze and two gold against 122 schools at the Canadian Secondary Schools Rowing Association Championship (2013/14)
- Reached seven finals at the Elk Lake regatta (2012/13) achieving Gold in Senior Novice Girls 4X
- Fall Term: 3 water practices/wk and 2 dryland practices/wk
- Winter/Spring Term: 5-8 practices/wk
- Susanne Walker Curry
- Richard Curry