Apply for ELL Boarding
The ELL Program at SMUS is designed to provide additional English language support for students who require some extra support to make the most of an English educational environment.
- SMUS offers boarding school with English Language Learning (ELL) for Grades 9 and 10.
- It is for students who speak good English but who may require some extra support in an English educational environment.
- English Language Learners go to the same classes and live in boarding with English speakers from Canada and around the world.
- For international families, further information about SMUS can be found on our International Families page.
- SMUS also offers an ELL Summer Academic English Program which is good preparation for attending any English speaking educational environment.
Before You Begin
This information is for applicants to our boarding program that require additional English language support. If your child is fluent in English, please see the application process information for boarding.
Start Your Application
You submit an application using SMUS’s Online Application Centre.
You will be asked to create a SMUS account. If you are applying for more than one child, use the same account but complete a separate application for each child. If you already have an account from a previous application, please use the same credentials.
Your account will need to be verified before you can start your application. Typically this takes 24-48 hours. We will contact you to let you know when you can begin your application.
Only parents or guardians can submit applications. If you are a student, please ask your parent(s) to complete the application on your behalf.
Submit Your Application
We look forward to getting to know you and your child through the application process.
You will be asked to provide:
- Your and your child’s key information
- Your contact information
- An emergency contact
- Your child’s present school
- The contact details of a current teacher for a reference
In addition, you will be asked questions about why you are interested in SMUS. There is also a section for your child to complete about their involvement in academics, arts and athletics, as well as their other interests and goals for the future.
Help With Your Application
If you have any questions or have any difficulties with the Online Application Centre, please reach out to email@example.com.
We require copies of key documents about your child:
- A copy of the two most recent report cards from your child’s current school
- An official document to confirm their birthdate and name (such as their birth certificate or passport)
- A recent photograph
- Any additional documents related to your child’s background, for example: custody agreement, education plans and/or psych ed assessments
If your documentation is in a language other than English or French, we ask that you provide certified translated copies.
Note for Applicants to Grade 10, 11 and 12
If you’re applying to Grade 10, 11 or 12, you will need to ask that a transcript from your child’s current school be sent directly to our Admissions office, preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a non-refundable application fee of CAD $250, which is paid online by credit card through the Online Application Centre.
Information about tuition fees for ELL Boarding is available from the Fees and Financial Support page.
Interview and Testing
After you submit your application and supporting documents, it will be reviewed by the Admissions office.
Your child will then be invited for testing and an interview. Please do not come to the school for testing before being invited. The Admissions office will contact you to discuss the best way for your child to be tested and interviewed.
- If possible, it is always best to visit SMUS for testing. It will allow you and your child to meet staff and get to know the school in person.
- If you cannot visit the school but Admissions staff are visiting you where you live, they will conduct the test and interview in person.
- If there is not an Admissions visit coming up and you cannot visit the school, testing and interviewing can take place online.
If you have taken or are planning to take the SSAT, SMUS recognizes the SSAT and may consider it in lieu of SMUS’s own entrance testing. When you register include St. Michaels University School (#6869) as a recipient of the SSAT scores. We also accept PSAT results.
SMUS’s entrance testing is unique for each student. We take into account previous test scores and qualifications and adjust your child’s testing accordingly. It is an assessment of your child’s current skills and is not a test that can be prepared for.
There is often anxiety about testing but it is in the student’s best interests to ensure that SMUS is the right fit for them. There is no pass or fail grade because test scores do not solely determine whether a student is admitted. At SMUS, we are looking for well-rounded young people that will contribute fully to our community.
English Language Requirement
If your child has not been attending a school where the primary language of instruction is English for at least three years, they must write one of the following language tests. We recommend you register for these tests while completing your application to the school.
iTEP 'SLATE PLUS'
Register to take the iTEP Slate Plus online and include St. Michaels University School as a recipient of the score report. On the iTEP exam, applicants should score a minimum as follows to be considered for admission: 5.0 – 6.0 or CEFR B2 – C1.
Register for the TOEFL Junior and include St. Michaels University School (#7442) as a recipient of the score report. On the TOEFL Junior, applicants should score a minimum as follows to be considered for admission: 867-900 or CEFR B2 - C1.
The Admissions office will then assess your full application and notify you of the result. Your application will be placed in one of three categories:
- Offer. Your application is successful and you have been offered a place at SMUS.
- Wait Pool. Your application is placed in the Wait Pool and you will be notified should a space for your child become available.
- Non-Acceptance. Your application is unsuccessful. This can be because of limited space or the Admissions office does not believe the program is the right fit for your child at this time.
If you have received an offer from the school, you will be given a time period in which to accept your offer.
To accept your offer, you will need to:
- Contact our Admissions office stating that you wish to accept.
- Pay a non-refundable CAD $3,500 registration fee. Because we are a school with limited places, this fee helps us ensure your commitment to the program.
If you need more information to make a decision, please contact the Admissions office.
Note that depending on the time of year, you may have only a short time after accepting the offer to either pay the full first year fee (international families) or complete the payment options form (North America and BC). Read more information in the Fees and Financial Support section.