Apply for Grades 1 to 5
Although Kindergarten is the recommended entry year, a small number of places become available each year in Grades 1 to 5.
- Grades 1 to 5 are taught alongside Kindergarten at the SMUS Junior School.
- We invite you to contact Admissions to learn more about our Junior School and to hear about opportunities to join us at an Open House and tour the school.
Start Your Application
You submit an application using SMUS’s Online Application Centre.
You will be asked to create a SMUS account. If you are applying for more than one child, use the same account but complete a separate application for each child. If you already have an account from a previous application, please use the same credentials.
Your account will need to be verified before you can start your application. Typically this takes 24-48 hours. We will contact you to let you know when you can begin your application.
Submit Your Application
We look forward to getting to know you and your child through the application process.
You will be asked to provide:
- Your and your child’s key information
- Your contact information
- An emergency contact
- Your child’s present school/pre-school
In addition, you will be asked some questions about why you are interested in SMUS and about your child’s involvement in activities and hobbies.
Help With Your Application
If you have any questions or have any difficulties with the Online Application Centre, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We require copies of key documents about your child:
- Copies of recent school reports
- An official document to confirm their birthdate and name (such as their birth certificate or passport)
- A recent photograph
- Any additional documents related to your child’s background, for example: custody agreement, education plans and/or psych ed assessments
If your documentation is in a language other than English or French, we ask that you provide certified translated copies.
There is a non-refundable application fee of CAD $250, which is paid online by credit card through the Online Application Centre.
Information about tuition fees for the Junior School is available from the Fees and Financial Support page.
The school assumes that parents, to the extent that they are able, will bear the primary responsibility for financing their children’s education. However, if you need extra help meeting the cost of tuition then you may wish to consider our Financial Aid program. An early application is advised but no offer of financial aid is made until you have an offer of a place at SMUS.
After you submit your application and supporting documents, the application will be reviewed by our Admissions office.
Invited applicants spend an assessment morning at the Junior School. This time is designed to be enjoyable for your child and allows us to get to know them in a small group setting.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to return to shadow a classroom of their peers, and parents will be invited to meet with the Director of Junior School.
The Admissions office will then assess your full application and notify you of the result. Your application will be placed in one of three categories:
- Offer. Your application is successful and you have been offered a place at SMUS.
- Wait Pool. Your application is placed in the Wait Pool and you will be notified should a space for your child become available.
- Non-Acceptance. Your application is unsuccessful. This can be because of limited space or the Admissions office does not believe the program is the right fit for your child at this time.
If you have received an offer from the school, you will be given a time period in which to accept your offer.
To accept your offer, you will need to:
- Contact our Admissions office stating that you wish to accept.
- Pay a non-refundable CAD $2,500 registration fee. Because we are a school with limited places, this fee helps us ensure your commitment to the program.
If you need more information to make a decision, please contact the Admissions office.