Apply for Junior Kindergarten
We are delighted you are considering SMUS for your child and welcome an application from your family. Junior Kindergarten at SMUS will help your child deepen the joy of discovery and will set them up for a successful transition to Kindergarten and the rest of their journey at our school.
- Thank you for your interest in the Junior Kindergarten program at St. Michaels University School. Although our JK application portal is now closed for the upcoming year, we welcome expressions of interest for our JK - 3 and JK - 4 program for 2024.
- Junior Kindergarten applications for 2024 will be accepted starting spring 2023. Additionally, if your child has a birthdate of 2019, you may at that time apply for Kindergarten.
- Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten are the recommended entry points for the SMUS Junior School. A limited number of spaces become available in Grades 1-5 and we therefore highly recommend Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten as your entry year to SMUS.
- The main Junior Kindergarten admissions process begins each fall for the following September. We suggest submitting your child's application prior to September, one full year ahead of your desired entry year.
- Junior Kindergarten candidates are invited to small group, play-based assessments. These in-person visits are required as part of the admissions process.
- We invite you to contact Admissions to learn more about SMUS and the wonderful opportunities we offer from JK - 3 to Grade 12.
Start Your Application
Applying to SMUS is a multi-step process. Before your child's application is reviewed by the Admissions Office, you will be asked to create an account through our Admissions Portal. This account will manage the admissions and assessment process of your child. Once you have created this account, you will be asked to complete and submit a series of forms and documents. Once you have gathered the supporting documents, this process should take you no more than 30 minutes to complete.
Help With Your Application
If you have any questions or have any difficulties with the Admissions Portal, please reach out to [email protected].
There is a non-refundable application fee of CAD $250, which is paid online by credit card through the Admissions Portal.
The Junior Kindergarten program fee for 2023-24 is CAD $22,050. Additional information about tuition fees is available from the Fees and Financial Support page.
The school assumes that parents, to the extent that they are able, will bear the primary responsibility for financing their children’s education. However, if you need extra help meeting the cost of tuition then you may wish to consider our Financial Aid program. An early application is advised but no offer of financial aid is made until you have an offer of a place at SMUS.
Campus Visit and Assessment
Campus Visit Invitation
Your submitted Junior Kindergarten application will be reviewed by our Admissions office and you and your child will be invited to the Junior School for a campus visit. The visit includes:
- A meeting with the Director of the Junior School.
- A tour of the Junior School campus.
- A play-based assessment of your child.
The Admissions office will then assess your full application and notify you of the result. Your application will be placed in one of three categories:
- Offer. Your application is successful and you have been offered a place at SMUS.
- Wait Pool. Your application is placed in the Wait Pool and you will be notified should a space for your child become available.
- Non-Acceptance. Your application is unsuccessful. This can be because of limited space or the Admissions office does not believe the program is the right fit for your child at this time.
If you have received an offer from the school, you will be given a time period in which to accept your offer.
To accept your offer, you will need to:
- Contact our Admissions office stating that you wish to accept.
- Pay a non-refundable CAD $2,500 registration fee and a truition deposit. Because we are a school with limited places, this fee helps us ensure your commitment to the program.
If you need more information to make a decision, please contact the Admissions office.