Apply for Grades 6 to 12
Welcome to St. Michaels University School. We are delighted that, like so many families from Victoria, you are planning on joining our community.
- For day students, our recommended entry years are Grades 6 (the first year of Middle School) and 9 (the first year of Senior School) but we welcome applications for all grades.
- SMUS has a rolling Admissions process at the Middle and Senior School. This means there is no deadline to apply but places in some grades are limited so an early application is advisable. For Senior School day admissions (grades 9-12) the main admissions process will have been concluded by March 15 of each year. Please be aware that applications submitted after that date will be for wait pool consideration for the next school year.
- You are welcome to visit SMUS to tour the school, and find out more about our programs before you apply. The best time to do this is Open House but we are happy for you to visit SMUS at another time. Please contact the Admissions office to request a meeting.
Before You Begin
SMUS is both a day and boarding school. The information on this page is for applicants to Grades 6 to 12 applying as day students, i.e. students that attend SMUS during the day but live at home in the Victoria community. If you are interested in our Boarding program, please review the Apply for Boarding information.
Start Your Application
You submit an application using SMUS’s Online Application Centre.
You will be asked to create a SMUS account. If you are applying for more than one child, use the same account but complete a separate application for each child. If you already have an account from a previous application, please use the same credentials.
Your account will need to be verified before you can start your application. Typically this takes 24-48 hours. We will contact you to let you know when you can begin your application.
Only parents or guardians can submit applications. If you are a student, please ask your parent(s) to complete the application on your behalf.
Submit Your Application
We look forward to getting to know you and your child through the application process.
You will be asked to provide:
- Your and your child’s key information
- Your contact information
- An emergency contact
- Your child’s present school
- The contact details of a current teacher for a reference
In addition, you will be asked questions about why you are interested in SMUS. There is also a section for your child to complete about their involvement in academics, arts and athletics, as well as their other interests and goals for the future.
Help With Your Application
If you have any questions or have any difficulties with the Online Application Centre, please reach out to email@example.com.
We require copies of key documents about your child:
- A copy of the two most recent report cards from your child’s current school
- An official document to confirm their birthdate and name (such as their birth certificate or passport). SMUS does not enrol students who will be 19 or over in their graduation year
- A recent photograph
- Any additional documents related to your child’s background, for example: custody agreement, education plans and/or psych ed assessments
If your documentation is in a language other than English or French, we ask that you provide certified translated copies.
Note for Applicants to Grade 10, 11 and 12
If you’re applying to Grade 10, 11 or 12, you will need to ask that a transcript from your child’s current school be sent directly to our Admissions office, preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a non-refundable application fee of CAD $250, which is paid online by credit card through the Online Application Centre.
Information about tuition fees for the Middle and Senior Schools is available from the Fees and Financial Support page.
The school assumes that parents, to the extent that they are able, will bear the primary responsibility for financing their children’s education. However, if you need extra help meeting the cost of tuition then you may wish to consider our Financial Aid program. An early application is advised but no offer of financial aid is made until you have an offer of a place at SMUS.
There are currently no merit scholarships for day students.
Campus Visit and Testing
Campus Visit Invitation
After you submit your application and supporting documents, it will be reviewed by the Admissions office.
You will then be invited for a campus visit. The visit includes:
- Entrance testing (see below)
- A tour of the school with a student ambassador. This is a great opportunity to hear about the benefits of SMUS from a student perspective
- Meetings with staff and faculty to go more in-depth about programs and opportunities, including (if appropriate) University Counselling
- The option for your child to spend time in classes
If You Are Unable to Visit the School
It is unusual that day applicants cannot visit the school. However, in rare circumstances, we do consider alternative means of testing. Please contact us to discuss this option.
SMUS’s entrance testing is unique for each student. We take into account previous test scores and qualifications and adjust your child’s testing accordingly. It is an assessment of your child’s current skills and is not a test that can be prepared for.
There is often anxiety about testing but it is in the student’s best interests to ensure that SMUS is the right fit for them. There is no pass or fail grade because test scores do not solely determine whether a student is admitted. At SMUS, we are looking for well-rounded young people that will contribute fully to our community.
The Admissions office will then assess your full application and notify you of the result. Your application will be placed in one of three categories:
- Offer. Your application is successful and you have been offered a place at SMUS.
- Wait Pool. Your application is placed in the Wait Pool and you will be notified should a space for your child become available.
- Non-Acceptance. Your application is unsuccessful. This can be because of limited space or the Admissions office does not believe the program is the right fit for your child at this time.
If you have received an offer from the school, you will be given a time period in which to accept your offer.
To accept your offer, you will need to:
- Contact our Admissions office stating that you wish to accept.
- Pay a non-refundable CAD $2,500 registration fee. Because we are a school with limited places, this fee helps us ensure your commitment to the program.
If you need more information to make a decision, please contact the Admissions office.