In late 2022, the SMUS Board of Governors approved a series of recommendations from the EDI Advisory Committee. These recommendations will be actioned in the coming years, beginning in January 2023.
A summary of these approved EDI recommendations can be downloaded here.
While we continue on our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion process, SMUS will move forward with these current and emerging strands:
- Indigenous Peoples - we will continue to deepen our connection with local peoples following an existing plan.
- Supporting existing school and student initiatives - whether, through long-standing groups like the Intercultural Council and Pride Alliance, or by recent working groups like the student-led group presenting on anti-racism, we will continue to support students as they build awareness around cultural appreciation and EDI.
- EDI training - we have begun equity, diversity and inclusion training for all employees.
- Professional Development - we will continue with plans for faculty and staff professional development event, including presentations centred on local First Nations peoples.
- Addressing opportunities that emerge or need to be addressed on a shorter timeline than possible within the deeper process.