The Volleyball Camp is designed for 13- to 17-year-old girls looking to improve their skills and learn the game with professional coaches and assistant coaches that are CIS, NCAA, and Team Canada players and alumni.
Abstract Volleyball and St. Michaels University School (SMUS) have come together to offer a comprehensive 5-day volleyball program at their beautiful campus in Victoria, BC.
The goal for the camp is to provide a fun and positive training environment that focuses on teaching individual athletes the tools to reach their own personal potential. Athletes at every level will benefit from professional coaching that reflects the skills being used at the highest levels of today’s game.
The coaches and female athletes will reside on the SMUS campus with athletes in double occupancy rooms with a private washroom. They will have support from SMUS boarding staff around the clock and will enjoy 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. Food Services at SMUS carefully plan each meal to ensure that there is a wide variety of nutritious food choices that are essential for a healthy body and an alert brain. This experience will give athletes the opportunity to pair on-court improvement with off-court personal growth.
If you are an athlete that is serious about getting to work on their game through high performance technical skill training, the Volleyball Camp is where it's at!
- Non-stop action
- Top level professional coaching staff
- Comprehensive training plans and individualized attention
- Positive, high energy training environment
- Direction on skills development and game play
- Opportunities to apply skills to game play situations in drills
- Daily tournaments
- Prizes and awards to top performances and championship games
- Final written growth summaries
- Daily evening activities and one half-day excursion
- Double occupancy rooms with private washrooms
- Bed lines, blankets, pillows and towels
- 3 nutritious meals and 2 snacks per day
- Beautiful dining hall and student common areas
- Two gymnasiums (single and double)
- Large grass sports fields
- 24-hour supervision
- A super fun camp experience
Jesse Knight – Head Coach
Jesse has dedicated his coaching efforts to training Canada's next generation of superstars. Jesse's focus is on skill development and advanced technical training. He is a NCCP Level 3 coach and has coached at every level that there is in the game, including NCAA division 1, CIS (national champion), Team Canada and professionally in Europe.
Here are some of the teams Jesse has coached:
- Lindesberg Volley (Sweden)
- University of Calgary
- Holy Names University (Oakland, CA)
- Team Canada U18
- Team Canada
- Saint Mary's College of California (NCAA)
- University of British Columbia
Julie Young – Coach
Julie has an extensive playing career including the University of Calgary, Canada's Senior Women's National Team and a professional career in both Germany and Finland. She is a professional skill development coach and has coached many volleyball training camps with Abstract Volleyball and the Strathcona Prep Volleyball Program.
Julie played on Team Canada and was the Athlete Director Volleyball Canada and has served as the Assistant Coach at Mount Royal University.
Drew Venables – Coach
Drew has played and coached in Canada and played professionally in Denmark. Spending his university career at the University of Manitoba, he was captain and setter for the Bisons earning a bronze medal at Nationals. He then won the Danish championship with Middlefart where he led the team to their first championship in 35 years.
Since then, he has been coaching at both the college and university levels, with Capilano, VIU, and TRU. He has run the Volleyball Canada Centre of Excellence in Richmond and specializes in setting and game management.
Sarah Chase – Coach
Originally from Campbell River, BC, and previous BC Girls volleyball Player of the Year, Sarah has a long list of accomplishments in the volleyball world, including:
- Helped Canada win bronze at the 2018 Pan American Cup, the first medal won by the team since 2002
- Member of Team Canada at the 2018 FIVB World Championship
- Ranked fourth at Saint Mary’s College in kills, digs and blocks for the 2018-19 season
- All-conference beach volleyball pair of the year for the 2019 season after posting a 24-5 recor
- Signed to play for Újpesti Torna Egylet in Hungary beginning in the fall of 2019