ELL Summer Program
Join students from around the world on this summer learning adventure on Canada’s beautiful west coast.
Our ELL Summer Programs are designed to encourage students to develop confidence and independence in an English-speaking environment while experiencing life in Canada.
Students can choose from either Academic or General English programs to enhance their English language skills through an intensive, hands-on learning experience with expert instructors.
Students will live on our beautiful campus in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. There are plenty of fun on-campus activities and excursions off-campus for students to keep busy and learn about the surrounding area. ELL students will be joined on activities by SMUS students to support their language practice.
The ELL Summer Program is for students who want to learn, grow and have fun!
These intensive, yet rewarding English language programs are designed to give English learners a well-rounded academic and cultural learning experience.
The Academic English program provides students with the knowledge, skills and strategies to successfully transition into an English secondary school or university and for those who are seeking an academically rigorous English program. Students who successfully complete the 120-hour Academic English program will receive four high school credits that can be used towards graduation requirements.
The General English program combines classroom studies with activities and workshops in the afternoon for students to practice their speaking skills in real-life scenarios. Students can join the program for 2- to 4-weeks in one of four levels: Beginner, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, and Advanced.
Our ELL Summer Programs offer a full package of instruction, accommodation, meals, activities, insurance, airport transfers, a completion certificate and more.
Programs start (arrivals) and end (departures) on Sundays.
The program includes:
- Academic Program - 120 hours of ESL instruction in the 4-week intensive program
- General English Program – 15 hours of classroom instruction plus 15 hours of English activities and workshops each week
- Small average class size of 10 students with a maximum of 15 students per class
- Highly qualified ESL specialist teachers
- Interaction with local Canadian students who act as mentors and encourage participants to use and develop their English skills
- Weekly academic field trips, evening and weekend activities and weekend overnight excursions
- Admission to all attractions
- Accommodation in our campus residences
- Airport pick-up and drop-off from the Victoria International Airport
- Three meals per day plus evening snack
- SMUS program souvenir
- Program certificate
- Program academic report
- iTEP official test and score report
- Program completion ceremony
- Curricula tailored to students' interest and ability levels
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Free campus-wide wifi
How to Register
Student Profile: Upper Intermediate and advanced, ages 13-17
Class Size: maximum 15
High School Credits: 4
- Upper Intermediate: 4.0 in IELTS or equivalent
- Advanced: 5.5 in IELTS or equivalent
Our 4-week intensive Academic English program provides students the knowledge, skills and strategies to successfully transition into an English secondary school or university and for those who are seeking an academically rigorous English program.
This program is designed for English speakers who understand idiomatic language, advanced grammatical structures, and complex speech. Students will stretch their communication competencies through participation in leadership training activities. Students will develop problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills. Content includes:
- the writing process – planning outlines, constructing paragraphs, developing thesis statements, and supporting the thesis with analogy, established fact, and quotations
- academic integrity – citing, paraphrasing, and avoiding plagiarism
- effective group-work training: turn-taking, working in culturally diverse groups, negotiating, cross-cultural communication skills
- public speaking skills including monologues, debates, recitations, and other opportunities to present publicly
- social media and Internet skills
- intercultural communication skills
How to Register
Student Profile: Beginner to advanced, ages 12-17
Class Size: maximum 15
Our weekly General English program combines classroom studies with activities and workshops in the afternoon for students to practice their speaking skills in real-life scenarios.
This program was designed for students with basic to advanced English language skills. Classes focus on the development and mastery of listening, speaking, writing, and reading. Content includes vocabulary enrichment; improving knowledge and use of basic and intermediate grammatical structures; and progression from writing simple sentences to creating cohesive, meaningful paragraphs.
Examples of the afternoon workshops are:
- Outdoor survival