Athletic and Fitness Facilities
On campus, students can play squash, soccer, rugby, basketball and many other sports. They may also use the fitness centre to workout using spin bikes or weights. Facilities on the Richmond Road campus include:
- Two gyms (single, double)
- Fitness centre
- Four squash courts
- Four athletic fields
Monkman Facility Access
The following groups are permitted to use the athletic facilities when a gym supervisor is present:
- Current SMUS students in Grades 6-12
- Kindergarten to Grade 5 students are not allowed to use the athletic facilities unless supervised by a SMUS teacher or coach
- Students in Grades 6-7 who want to use the fitness centre must be directly supervised by a SMUS faculty/staff/coach
- SMUS teams and clubs, as organized by the Director of Athletics
- External groups who have been approved via External Programs, which includes 1-on-1 training
If you do not fall into one of these groups, some facilities at the school may be available to rent.
Outside of Regular Hours
Outside of regularly scheduled, supervised times, Monkman Athletic Centre facility users must be current SMUS students and must be directly supervised by a SMUS adult (coach, faculty or staff).
Use By Faculty and Staff
Faculty and staff can use the facilities, but many facilities will require an advance booking. If you’re unsure about whether you need to make a booking, please contact the Director of Athletics.
SMUS coaches are permitted to use facilities for programming that involves current SMUS students and faculty and staff. Individual coaching, or private lessons, or programming outside of the typical scope of the Athletics program must be approved by the Director of Athletics.