At SMUS, we strive to meet the needs of our learners. We offer an excellent learning resource program at all three campuses. The learning resource program consists of educators – most of whom have master’s degrees specializing in special education – with specific training in areas of remediation, enrichment, collaboration, educational coaching and assistive technology.
We work closely with families, teachers and directors to provide support for the students in our program. We strive to meet the needs of all our learners by offering the following:
- programming and accommodations for students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- collaboration with teachers in the areas of curriculum, assessment, adaptations, differentiation and learning strategies
- training in, and access to, assistive technology
- an effective balance between remediation and in-class assistance (Junior and Middle Schools), with an increased focus on compensatory strategies and self-advocacy as students progress through the school
- a focus on schoolwide outreach, including a wide range of Middle and Senior School seminars on learning strategies, and supports for learning and organizational skills
- close collaboration with teachers, administrators, counsellors and psychologists to support students with academics, executive functioning, and social and emotional well-being
- assistance during key transitions: Junior School to Middle School, Middle School to Senior School, and Senior School to post-secondary.
Contact Information for Parents
- [email protected]
- Phone (Reception): 250-519-7293