(Kindergarten to Grade 5)
- An enriched, inquiry-based program inspired by a Reggio Emilia approach.
- A safe, welcoming campus environment in Oak Bay that promotes joyful learning.
- Specialist teachers in many subjects, including French, choir, strings, visual art and outdoor education.
- After-school sports and clubs offer a full complement of opportunities for students – all under one roof.
- Full academic and social supports to ensure students succeed.
(Grades 6 to 8)
- Inquiry and project-based learning approach that connects curriculum to real-world scenarios.
- Broad enriched program opportunities in music, athletics and visual art alongside core subjects.
- Designated Middle School building on a campus shared with the Senior School to allow for cross-school connections.
- Emphasis on character education during key years growing from dependence to independence.
- Intentionally small community providing students with connections to many adults.
(Grades 9 to 12)
- Recognized as one of Canada's leading university-prep programs.
- A large number of curricular and extracurricular opportunities in arts, athletics, leadership, service and outdoor education, which allows students to tailor the program to their future ambitions.
- Located on a beautiful campus in Victoria, BC, with a history dating back to 1906.
- More than 65 clubs and councils and 25 sports teams.
- Full range of academic and personal support, including university counselling.
The academic program at SMUS is recognized nationally and internationally for the quality of education provided.
- Breadth and depth, which includes the development of core skills alongside enhanced and pioneering programming.
- Focus on the 'Portrait of a Learner' – seven soft skills we intentionally develop in students to help them succeed in life.
- Inspiring teachers who love what they do and are focused on providing the best possible support to students.
SMUS offers Canada's longest-running Advanced Placement program.
- Offering 25 AP courses including the prestigious AP Capstone program.
- Outstanding AP results year-over-year.
- AP exam results from 2021:
- 457 AP exams written
- 89 SMUS AP Scholars
- 95% of students had scores of 3, 4, or 5
- 43% of exams scored a 5
- SMUS graduates are in demand from top universities worldwide.
- Large, dedicated University Counselling department.
- Every student has an academic advisor to help them make academic choices in line with their future plans.
- The Class of 2021:
- Received 695 acceptances
- Received $3,891,746 in total scholarship offers
Arts education is a priority at SMUS and is offered from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Specialist arts teachers at all levels in strings, choir, band, visual art and design, drama and musical theatre.
- Purpose-built arts facilities including dedicated visual arts and music rooms.
- Regular performances and concerts that take advantage of beautiful venues on campus and in Victoria.
Physical education is a core component of the program at SMUS.
- The school plays 13 sports competitively: badminton, basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, rowing, rugby, sailing, soccer, squash, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
- Many more recreational activities, including dance and yoga.
- Excellent athletic facilities, including full-size fields, gymnasiums, a fitness centre, and a rowing centre on a 3.5-km course.
Outdoor Education, Leadership and Service
- The outdoors as a classroom is a focus at SMUS making the most of our beautiful city and province.
- Experience exciting outdoor activities including kayaking, sailing, surfing, hiking and camping.
- Leadership programs to give students the opportunity to develop important skills in communication and teamwork.
- Service programs so that students understand the importance of giving back and the contribution they can make to the world.