(Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5)
- An academic program inspired by a Reggio Emilia approach where students are given time and space to be curious, to explore and to be fully engaged in their learning.
- A safe, welcoming campus environment in Oak Bay that promotes joyful learning and community-building for students and families.
- Learning prioritizes developing a breadth of reading, writing and mathematics skills to help give children the best possible foundations at school.
- Supportive and nurturing teachers, including French, choir, strings, visual art and outdoor education specialists.
- State-of-the-art and fully stocked Imagination Lab design studio where students tinker, build and create.
- Included after-school and weekend sports and clubs offer a full complement of opportunities for students – all under one roof.
- An annual musical or opera for Grade 5 students that’s performed at the McPherson Playhouse in downtown Victoria.
- Academic and social supports to ensure students succeed, including a Junior School counsellor, learning resource teachers and reading specialists.
(Grades 6 to 8)
- Project-based learning approach that connects in-depth classroom learning to immersive real-world scenarios.
- Broad program with a variety of choices for students in languages, music, athletics and visual art alongside humanities, math and science courses.
- Innovative Exploratory program lets students explore their interests and curiosities, and take safe risks in a supportive environment.
- Intentionally small community with daily check-ins provides students with connections to adults who know them on an academic and personal level.
- Emphasis on character education during key years helps students develop independence, leadership skills, confidence and an increased sense of self.
- Self-reflection is embedded in learning so students better know their strengths and areas of improvement as learners to help prepare them for high school.
- Designated Middle School building on a campus shared with the Senior School to allow for cross-school connections.
- SMUS offers an advanced boarding program for Grade 8 students who are academically and emotionally prepared to interact within an older environment. Grade 8 boarders live on campus alongside their Grade 9 to 12 housemates and are fully integrated into the boarding program.
(Grades 9 to 12)
- An academic program recognized internationally for its exceptional university preparation focus and for offering more than 120 courses.
- One of Canada’s largest Advanced Placement programs, with 24 university-level courses.
- Opportunities in arts, athletics, leadership, service and outdoor education, which allows students to tailor their classroom and extracurricular experiences to their future ambitions.
- Full range of academic support, including Academic Advisors and University Counsellors who help students towards achieving their post-secondary goals.
- More than 65 clubs and councils and 25 sports teams to help students discover more about themselves and their passions.
- An international day and boarding school where students learn alongside students and teachers from 25 countries.
- Access to resources to support each student’s mental health and wellbeing, including a four-person counselling team, an on-site Health Centre, and regular homeroom.
- State-of-the-art facilities including modern classrooms, science labs, art studios, sports fields, squash courts, a rowing centre, and dining hall.
- A supportive community in which students can fully be themselves as they build lifelong connections with classmates and teachers.
The academic program at SMUS is recognized nationally and internationally for the quality of education provided.
- Breadth and depth, which includes the development of core skills alongside enhanced and pioneering programming.
- Focus on the 'Portrait of a Learner' – seven soft skills we intentionally develop in students to help them succeed in life.
- Inspiring teachers who love what they do and are focused on providing the best possible support to students.
SMUS offers Canada's longest-running Advanced Placement program.
- Offering 25 AP courses including the prestigious AP Capstone program.
- Outstanding AP results year-over-year.
- AP exam results from 2022:
- 619 AP exams written
- Number of students writing at least one AP exam
- 49 SMUS AP Scholars
- 95.8% of students had scores of 3, 4, or 5
- SMUS graduates are in demand from top universities worldwide.
- Large, dedicated University Counselling department.
- Every student has an academic advisor to help them make academic choices in line with their future plans.
- The Class of 2022:
- Received 577 acceptances
- Received $3,643,197 in total scholarship offers
- 43% earned scholarships
Arts education is a priority at SMUS and is offered from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Specialist arts teachers at all levels in strings, choir, band, visual art and design, drama and musical theatre.
- Purpose-built arts facilities including dedicated visual arts and music rooms.
- Regular performances and concerts that take advantage of beautiful venues on campus and in Victoria.
- Junior School Arts
- Middle School Arts
- Senior School Music
- Senior School Theatre Arts
- Senior School Visual Art and Design
Physical education is a core component of the program at SMUS.
- The school plays 13 sports competitively: badminton, basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, rowing, rugby, sailing, soccer, squash, tennis, track and field, and volleyball.
- Many more recreational activities, including dance and yoga.
- Excellent athletic facilities, including full-size fields, gymnasiums, a fitness centre, and a rowing centre on a 3.5-km course.
Outdoor Education, Leadership and Service
- The outdoors as a classroom is a focus at SMUS making the most of our beautiful city and province.
- Experience exciting outdoor activities including kayaking, sailing, surfing, hiking and camping.
- Leadership programs to give students the opportunity to develop important skills in communication and teamwork.
- Service programs so that students understand the importance of giving back and the contribution they can make to the world.
Begin Your Journey
If you are ready to begin an application to SMUS or you would like to know more about our school, the Admissions office will be glad to help.Contact Admissions